Although Alexis and I knew that any overnight hiking would be impossible with 2 young boys, we were still excited by the prospect of day hikes. As luck would have it, the Swiss Alps are definitely a family friendly place to hike. From the chalet, we had access to quite a few easy, flat hiking paths and we were even able to escape high up into the mountains thanks to the ski-lifts and cabins which are put to work in the summer shuttling hikers and bikers up to the peaks. Although I don't mind a good workout, we were definitely grateful to avoid a few hours of uphill climbing with 2 little boys on our backs.
Let the hiking begin!
Snack time?
Tim trying out his hiking legs
Pinecones!
It was really fantastic spending a week exploring the mountains and the valley with Natacha and Alexandre's family, Daddy and Nanou. It's been a while since Jack and Olivia spent so much time together, but they always seem to jump right in where they left off. Of course, at times, there were a few disagreements...but that's to be expected when putting 2 3-year olds together who are just learning how to express themselves. Overall, I think they both had a blast and I really hope that Timothee and Jean will get to become such good buddies as well.
Jack taking in the view
Tim enjoying the break
The De Riemaeckers
Lost in the wildflowers
In the end, we got quite lucky with the weather. We spent our first 2 days lost in the clouds and heavy rain, but by the end of the week the sun was shining and it was even warm enough to take a few quick dips in the local pool. We got stuck only once in a poorly timed hike being a little bit under-equipped. I guess you could say that Alexis and I were too excited to start hiking and ignored the looming grey clouds everywhere. But, it was nothing that a quick hot chocolate and soup couldn't fix...thank goodness for little mountain retreats.
Warming up with a little bit of hot chocolate
After a day of hiking, we were all quite content in having a nice relaxing evening in the garden. Jack and Olivia really enjoyed looking for insects and butterflies...and luckily for them, there were a lot of both.
Enjoying the garden and their grandparents
Jean laughs!
One of the things they loved most was playing in the big "sandboxes". During the summer, some of the ski slopes are transformed into a golf course complete with sandpits. Once the golfers are gone for the day, it becomes a little paradise for children.
Jack and Olivia on the green
Cedric, Caroline and their children joined us for our last 2 days in the mountains. It was great to have so many of the cousins together. I even learned a little secret...kids seem to walk better when there are more of them! I must admit that Jack was a champion hiker the whole week, we only had to carry him on our back a minimum of time. But, with his older cousins around, he was practically running with excitement to keep up with them.
Jack and Thibault strolling through the woods
Wild strawberry picking!
Daddy, Nanou and 8 of their grandchildren
Although it was a bit early, we couldn't pass up the opportunity to celebrate Jack's 3rd birthday all together and he LOVED it. Jack has been really excited about turning 3 and having his very own birthday party, and I don't think he could have asked for anything more. Happy birthday Jacques!
I'm 3!
We really had an amazing time during our 1 week mountain getaway. For the past few years, I really missed hiking in the mountains and as luck would have it, we were able to find a nice balance by doing day hikes with the kids. I would like to send out a big thank you to Daddy and Nanou, who on many occasions were so nice to take a tuckered out Jack back down the mountain a bit earlier so we could continue hiking for a few more hours. It was so nice to rediscover all of the wildflowers and streams winding through the mountains on the trail back down to the chalet.
Our little family
I'm definitely looking forward to many more future hikes with Jacques and Timothee. Now, we just have to work on getting Tim to walk!!

















No comments:
Post a Comment